Alpha Sigma Phi was founded at Yale University on December 6, 1845. Three young men: Louis Manigault, Horace Spangler Weiser, and Stephen Ormsby Rhea, all freshmen, met and laid down the basic principles of a society that today counts its membership in the thousands.
Since 1845, Alpha Sigma Phi has maintained a proud tradition of creating and perpetuating brotherhood for good men coast to coast. Dedicated alumni have long preserved and enriched the "Old Gal's" tradition with a vision for the future that exemplifies the experiences of the past. Through the years, many brothers have noted that Alpha Sigma Phi made a significant contribution early in their lives. With gratitude, these members have remained loyal and are supportive of the Fraternity's future.
Alpha Sigma Phi's existence has been threatened many times over the last 150 years. The fraternity still managed to pull through these hardships. Therefore, the official symbol of the fraternity is the Phoenix, the mythological bird that rises from its ashes.
Today, Alpha Sigma Phi is recognized as a fraternity of quality and stature. With over 60 chapters, colonies, and interest groups, and an active expansion effort, the Fraternity continues to offer meaningful services and opportunities to over 2,000 undergraduates and 40,000 living alumni.
Iota Chapter at Cornell was founded on March 27, 1909, by a group of ten undergraduates. The new fraternity prospered, and in 1913 it moved to its current location overlooking beautiful Fall Creek Gorge.
The west wing, containing 15 single bedrooms, and the north wing, with expanded dining and social facilities as well as additional bedrooms, were added in 1924. Thanks to generous support from our alumni, additions to the Rockledge house have been made regularly over the past 100 years.
Alpha Sig has made and continues to make distinctive contributionsto the Cornell community. Andrew Dickson White, the first president of and co-founder of Cornell, was initiated into the fraternity at Yale in 1850. He served as the fraternity's national president from 1913 to 1915 and helped found the chapter at Cornell. Other distinctive alumni include past and current deans of the Agriculture, Hotel, and Veterinary colleges at Cornell, and presidents of major corporate firms.